Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Did we really gain independence....

It is over 50 years that we have gained Independence from the British Raj...yet when I see the IT/Outsourcing boom it really makes wonder how much economic independence we have really gained. The British RAJ was all about controlling India economically and making money by using our raw materials and using us a cheap labour. We were also a market for thier goods on top of all that.

Have things really changed ...?? especially when you look at the IT sector.

We still are being used as cheap labour except now it is in the field of software development, IT services, BPOs etc.. Over 90% of the sector are basically captive units for companies in the west. So if they shut the TAP we run dry.. not much independence I would say.

We dont really have any upgrade of knowledge domains, the products that we work on or support basically belong to the West so when they find a cheaper and practical alternative like China, they will move and we would be left high & dry. Is this really independence..

To top it all, often we make their products and it is these very products that we will buy again... interesting isnt it , when you think of it .. is this economic independence. ?

I do believe that our inherent capacity as a skilled and evolved services oriented market which is considered as our biggest advantage might become our biggest enemy in the long run.

Hey I am a part of it too as I run an offshore software developmenat company which primarily survives on business from the West and I am not complaining as it is my source of livelihood but am I kidding myself when I say I am economically independent...